Sunday, January 24, 2010

More from Madagascar

1-17-10

Dear Mom & Dad,

Things are pretty good. It is pouring rain right now. It rains every night. While I was walking, it got so muddy, I slipped right out of my shoe.

I did two presentations called “Kabarys” in Malagasy. They were about acute respiratory infections and HIV/safe sex. One of the presentations was for my professor, the other I did at a local school.

I did go to church again and I thought the bench was going to break. The benches are made of plywood with no real center support. I was sitting next to the father of the family I am living with and two other rather large people sat next to me. I could feel the bench bowing. They read the Bible and then there is a sermon with lots of singing, but with no kind of communion service.

There was a solar eclipse the other night. One little 7-year old girl said, “Look! It’s the Apocalypse!”

I have discovered that the little children I live with do not understand the concept of “personal space”. They come to my room and just stare at me while I am studying. I made the mistake of allowing them to come in and watch the movie, Madagascar, on my computer. They have returned every afternoon to watch more videos. I told them it was broken. They are also very curious about my skin coloring. They pointed to my freckles and asked, “What is this?”

I heard about the horrible earthquake in Haiti. One of the other health volunteers has friends volunteering in Haiti. I understand the devastation is terrible.

Thank you very much. I did get the package you sent with the candy, nutria-grain bars, calendar and pill box. The candy is almost gone. I also received a postcard from Jon from Budapest dated 12-15-09

Could you please look into flights for me to return for Jon’s wedding?

Our swearing-in ceremony is Tuesday January 26th and then we should go to post right after that.

I will keep you posted.


Love,


Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment