Friday, February 5, 2010

Another update?!?! (dont get used to the frequent updates direct from me)

Hello again!
I’ve been at my site for 1 week now, it’s certainly been a change of pace. I’ve been going to the CSB (health clinic) each morning and trying to help out by teaching about different health topics (note, this isn’t very effective yet because the nurse has to re-translate into better Malagasy, or a least a form of it people understand better). I also spend a lot of time observing and trying to learn more of the language. You’d be hard pressed to find me around my town without my 2 dictionaries (Malagasy to English and English to Malagasy). I’ve seen stitches both put in and taken out… which is quite different than anything I’ve ever seen in the states (lets put it this way… no suture kits and not anesthetic; just betadine, alcohol, needles, scissors, and string).
I’m usually at the CSB for the first half of the morning than I am free to just do whatever… walk around, read, ride my bike, play guitar (I’ve written 2 songs already since moving to site), anything really. However, by no means am I leaving in the lap of luxury. My house while quaint and cozy, is also a semi-hot box slash large oven seeing as my walls and roof are made out of tin. It gets up to anywhere between 100º and 110º during the day, and down into the upper 70s at night (note this is the middle of the night while I’m asleep). Since I have no electricity and I shut all my doors and windows once it gets dark out (so the mosquitoes don’t come in), I usually am in bed by 7:30-8 and read by flashlight until I start to fall asleep. I use a lot of candles at night so I can see while I cook my dinner and then get ready for bed… I will be amazed if there is no incident involving this. Actually come to think of it, I have already burned myself on some dripping wax (I’m sure none of you are surprised). No other (minor or major) accidents to report so far.
Other things about how I live here… I use a “kabone” (aka outhouse otherwise known as hole in the ground). My biggest fear is falling in and getting stuck (it’s legitimate… the floors are made of wood and if they rot out… there goes Jess into a really shitty situation… quite literally. My shower is more of a space right next to the kabone. I had to fix the door a bit with some string in order for it to stay closed (I had some issues with the little kids staring as I showered for the first time there… had to yell at them to go away then and again when I was trying to change). I found out that my tolerance for children ends at my own personal room… I don’t really like them there. I’ve started to get used to the staring (mostly from the children) while I do anything… reading, dishes, laundry, cooking, etc; still slightly obnoxious.
I have to get my water from a well that is 200 meters away. The water level is about 20 feet down, and I’ve been borrowing peoples buckets with rope to retrieve my water. They laugh at me because I almost always have to stop and rest on my way back (note I am carrying 2 buckets FULL of water). They told me I need to learn how to carry it on my head… we’ll see if this happens.
Anyway, I’m quite happy where I am. I do miss home and all my friends and family, but it won’t be long until I’m back again.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! This is Sarah from waaay back in the day with JMU RA stuff. We talked about PC a lot, but I'm impressed to see you followed through! I'm teaching near Harrisonburg, but I'll live vicariously through your Madagascar adventures!

    ReplyDelete